Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Love

"Is it possible for the rose to say, 'I will give my fragrance to the good people who smell me, but I will withhold it from the bad?' Or is it possible for the lamp to say, 'I will give my light to the good people in this room, but I will withhold it from the evil people'? Or can a tree say, 'I'll give my shade to the good people who rest under me, but I will withhold it from the bad'? These are images of what love is about."
Anthony De Mello

We are all very quick to judge. We like fruit cake better than vanilla cake, and vanilla cake better than broccoli. We hate sushi. We love chocolate but we hate asparagus. We enjoy the sun but can't wait for the rain to be over. We appreciate the gift from Susie but not the one from John. The guy down the street has disgusting habits, but the woman next door is very endearing. In fact we go around judging and comparing everything around us all day every day.

All this judging and comparing does not show love. We are effectively stating that nothing has any value except when compared to something else. And some things have no value at all. But who are we to make a decision like that? Once again, our ego is getting in the way of our natural expression of love. The truth is that everything has intrinsic value; if it didn't it wouldn't exist. To a genuinely loving person, this is obvious.

God loves everything that God creates, and if we want to be like God, then we should to. We should never discriminate against people. Like the rose,the lamp, and the tree we should share our gifts with everyone regardless of what we think of them. Instead of looking for what is wrong with someone or something, try looking at what is right with that person or thing. Try to look at him/her/it through God's eyes. Search for what is loveable about them, and then show them it. That is how you really show love.

For ideas about how to acheive true success, visit http://www.reachingmypotential.com

No comments: